A motherboard that almost fits in an hand with dual-core Nano X2… VIA Technology seeks to attract industry but could also appeal to geeks, all depends on the price.
The VIA Technology continues to produce boards for the embedded industry that interest also to enthusiasts of mini cards to do everything for the home. This time it is an ETX (Embedded Technology eXtended) format ultra-compact (9.5 x 11.4 cm), launched under the name ETX-8X90.
Soldered directly to the motherboard, the processor is unsurprisingly a VIA Technology’s CPU, Nano X2 E-Series, a dual-core at 1.2 GHz. It has a slot for SO-DIMM up to 4GB. The graphics is assigned to a VIA VX900 MSP chip with a HD processing module compatible with DirectX 9 2D/3D which supports hardware decoding for VC1, MPEG-2, WMV9 and H.264 codecs.
The motherboard has a PCI and ISA slots, as well as a SATA and IDE, and finally two RS232 ports. There’s also a LVDS 18/24 bit dual channel port with support for screens up to 2560 x 1600 pixels. There are also connectors on the board to add four USB 2.0 ports and two mini-USB directly accessible on the rear panel.
The Via ETX-8X90 motherboard is also equipped with a SD card reader, a plus if you want to start a small Linux distribution for example. VIA Technology also sells development kits that include the motherboard and its special media, cables (SATA, PATA, KBMS, COM, LPT and LVDS), a start guide, a drivers CD and finally a 12. 1″ screen (10GAB12A100A2). You will ger the price by contacting an VIA Technology authorized dealer.
Via Etx-8×90 Features
- 1.2GHz VIA 64-bit Nano™ X2 E-Series dual core processor
- Supports one DDR3 SODIMM socket, up to 4GB memory size
- VIA VX900 MSP with integrated VIA Chrome9™ HD DX9 3D/2D graphics with VC1, MPEG-2, WMV9 and H.264 decoding acceleration
- Features two PCI and one ISA
- Supports one SATA, one IDE and two com ports
- Display interface in CRT with resolution up to 2560 x 1600, 18/24-bit dual-channel LVDS panel
- Supports one 10/100 Ethernet on module
- Supports four USB 2.0 and two mini USB ports, one IDE
- Support for VxWorks, Windows 7, Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows XP Embedded, Windows CE 6.0 and Linux OS